Wednesday, January 31, 2018

DIY Farmhouse Signs and Other Projects with my Silhouette Cameo

It's been forever since I posted here...life was busy and very different in 2017.  If you've followed along with me, you know that I was diagnosed with breast cancer last January and chose a bilateral mastectomy as treatment.  I'm very blessed to be cancer-free and done with reconstruction...all within one calendar year. 

Needless to say, 2017 was not my best year for getting a lot of projects done. But, while my surgical recoveries didn't allow for a lot of DIY, I did complete a few things...including my bedspring chandelier (many thanks to my teenager for doing the heavy lifting there).

And, once I started feeling more like myself this past Fall, I started playing with my old Silhouette Cameo. Honestly, I never fully appreciated that machine and hardly used it. Well, now that I've finally started playing with it and vinyl crafts, I'm addicted!  Facebook Groups and YouTube have become my new hang-outs.  If you are interested in making some thing..any thing really...there's probably a FB group for that :)

One of my first projects was for Christmas when I made farmhouse ornaments.  These turned out really cute and became such a hit when I posted them on FB that I made several sets for customers.  They are simple but look great on the tree. My letters were cut out of Oracal 651 permanent vinyl in black matte.
Farmhouse Ornaments made with white matte
glass ornaments, permanent vinyl, and fun ribbon ties.
Well, these got me started on the Rae Dunn-inspired bandwagon!  I made a couple of snack bowls for myself and new burner covers...also using 651 vinyl and a font called "Paprika".

Dollar Tree burner covers spray painted white and
then lettered with vinyl decals
After that, it was vinyl crafts galore! I really loved how easy it was to make all kinds of things....and I might have gone a little crafting crazy.  But, in my defense, it had been a looooong time between Hobby Lobby sprees and I made most of my Christmas gifts to my family this year.  ;)

I have now used my Cameo in the last few months to:
  • make stencils for wood signs and boxes
  • make custom vinyl pantry labels
  • cut HTV (heat transfer vinyl) to make tshirts, onesies, blankets, and even monogrammed purses
  • cut earrings out of glitter canvas and faux leather
  • cut vinyl for mugs, earrings, dessert carriers, dishware, and "reverse canvas" farmhouse signs
  • cut a stencil used with my wood burner to make a personalized cutting board
.....and there's so much more I haven't even tried yet!

So, if you have something you wanted to try and maybe it didn't work out the first round or maybe you were intimidated by the machine/materials/etc., I encourage you to give it another go!  You might discover a new hobby or appreciation for it after all.  

If you are interested in seeing more of my projects (or visit my soon-to-open FB shop), please follow along or "like" my Facebook page @JuliesCraftyImaginings.

Try something new this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.