School ended two weeks ago for my son and there were field trips and parties and all of the end-of-the-year activities. This also meant the end of baseball season. The principal and teachers came up with a great idea for coaches’ gifts this year…customized folding chairs! They asked me to put them together…of course, I said “no problem”. Sometimes, I wonder just what I am thinking…20 chairs in less than a week. It all worked out in the end, but was a little challenging.
First things first, I recruited my mother for help. My son also got in on the project. My mother is a Cricut user while I have a Silhouette. I used my Silhouette to make the pattern for the Ram out of thin cardboard. My mother (and my son) used the Cricut to cut our lettering patterns out of Contact Paper (picked up at the Dollar Store). I purchased and used Tulip Fabric Paint from Hobby Lobby. We found the best tools for the project were these sponge applicators…also from Tulip.To get started on the stenciling, I opened all of the chairs and lightly pressed the backs to get out any major wrinkles in the fabric. This was a challenge the entire time…the thick fabric does not lay very flat and it was a constant battle to keep them flat. The kitchen had the best hard surface and space to work, so the chairs took over the kitchen and living room!I started with the Ram (the school mascot, of course). It was a clipart image that I uploaded to my Silhouette. We did some with a Ram and the word “RAMS” and some with just the word “RAMS”. My helpers (my mother and my son) stenciling chairs:We let them dry overnight and then delivered them to the school. Just as an extra precaution, we left them open for a second night there as well. The chairs were a hit at the end-of-the-season party and I’m sure the coaches will get a lot of use out of them next year!
This post is linked to: