Friday, December 23, 2011

Chalkboard-footed Wineglasses

Since it is only two days until Christmas, I thought it only fitting that my inaugural post be about a Christmas gift that I made.  I first saw the idea on one of my favorite (and most addicting) websites, Pinterest.  As soon as I saw these "chalkboard wineglasses", I knew these were the perfect gift to take to our family gift exchange....there are several wine lovers in attendance that I knew would "fight" for this gift. I was right...they were a hit!


They were easier to make than I envisioned and hardly took any time at all.  After reading several tutorials, I finally settled on this one from Always Order Dessert.  What I liked about this one, was that she used chalkboard spray paint rather than dipping the glasses into paint as mentioned on other tutorials (that just seemed messy).  The only thing I did not see mentioned on her tutorial is the last step....prepping the chalkboard for use by rubbing the entire surface with the side of a piece of chalk.  Wipe this off and then you are ready to go.  
I made four (4) glasses and then packed them with bubble wrap, sparkly filler, and tissue paper in a pretty box with a lid.  I added a box of white chalk and a box of colored chalk to complete the gift.  I wish I would have thought to take a picture of the complete package. 


The completed glasses (that is a quilt in progress in the background....I always have more than one project going at a time!)

The glasses are hand-wash only and really make a neat gift for winelovers.  Several people have mentioned that they have seen similar products available online for $20 a glass!  Crazy, huh?  I bought Libbey glasses at Garden Ridge for $2/each and the RustOleum spray paint was around $5 at Home Depot.  I already had the blue painter's tape (what crafter doesn't?).  Whether you make them for yourself or as a gift...enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea! This concept could be used for other drinking glasses. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, too! Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.