Monday, January 16, 2012

Chair Makeover & Front Porch Sign (with Chalk Paint and a Wood Pallet)

The weather was perfect and it was a holiday so while my son played with his friends outside, I worked in the garage on my projects today.  I am so very thankful for days like these! 
Remember those two old chairs and pallet I "rescued" from the junk pile last week?  Well, they got pushed aside when I found my buffet piece...until now!  I had planned on using chalk paint on my buffet, but figured I had better experiment with it before using it on such a big piece.  So, I mixed up my own chalk paint (using the recipe from liz marie blog).  If you haven't used it before, it is definitely different...think thick and....well.....chalky.  ;^)  I tinted it a pale blue and painted it on the solid wood chair.  Then, let it dry overnight. 

BEFORE: Wood "rescued" chair...just starting to paint with DIY Chalk Paint
After using the chalk paint, I decided that (while I liked it) it was not the look I wanted for the buffet (so glad I tried it first).  So, while I was waiting on the buffet to dry (I'll tell you what I did to it later!), I started playing with the chair.  It was kinda cool looking with the paint alone, but I wanted a little more "aging" so I sanded some of the edges to let the wood show through.  Loved it!

With the pale blue chalk paint...still needs something.....
Then, I worked on the buffet some more, and while that was drying.....I got bored. 
So......I started taking apart that old pallet. 
My new sign...using an old wood pallet and puff paint.
(You can kinda see in this pic where I roughed-up the edges on the chair.)
I decided to use a few of the boards to make a sign for my front porch (which is where the blue chair was going).  I cut some scrap wood (with my very own jigsaw that my Dad gave me yesterday!) to hold the three pieces together.  Then, I lightly sprayed the boards with white spray paint...just to soften the look.  Then, I got out my handy-dandy puff paint and wrote the verse on the boards.  I really like how it shows-up on the porch.  I want to add some plants and other decor to the porch too, but I think it is off to a good start.


I have been so inspired this week while working on these projects.  I just want to do more and more, but, alas, I do have to go to work sometime!


This post is linked to these great parties: http://craftyimaginings.blogspot.com/p/linky-parties.html

13 comments:

  1. Love the chair color and the scripture!

    I found your blog on Creatively Living Linky party.

    Check out my blog at www.kristiskrazytown.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie, I must say, you have done a fine job. Both look great and I was very impressed when you said you used your very own jigsaw. Wow, I've never used one let along owned one and I'm 65 years young, LOL Continue on doing what you are doing because you are on the right track. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! Wouldn't the world be a happier place if we could all just do crafts all day! lol

    Awesome sign and awesome verse! I have the same verse in my enteryway and I always want to try to have it somewhere, no matter what house I'm in.

    Thanks for linking it up at Tell it to Me Tuesday @ Creatively Living
    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard when work gets in the way of a good time. :) I love the pallet sign, the saying is perfect. And your chair looks lovely! I can't wait to see your buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I love the old wood, the color of the chair, and your wreath together. Great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the chair color, of course this is one of my favorite verses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your great ensemble at the Kiss & Tell party at I Gotta Create! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this lovely ensemble at the Kiss & Tell party over at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pallet art!! Using puffy paint was genius! And the color of the chair is perfect! Thanks for sharing at Oopsey Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I coming over from Rustic Crafts. I love how your chair and sign turned out! I totally understand about the whole chalk paint thing, you either love it or hate it, but I do like the color you picked for the chair. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an awesome job on the chair and I love the pallet sign! Thanks for sharing this at my link party. I hope to see you at tomorrow's party too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your pallet word art. Congrats on the feature at the Shabby Shares Sat Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting! I love reading what you think about my projects, recipes, et cetera.